Construction unearthed a scroll of unknown alpha bet and language. Using state of the art software linguistic and archaeological experts try to decipher the scroll contents. This is their progress to date.
The scroll is known as the Book of Madoff. No one knows if Madoff is a noun, or a verb.
The scroll is from a society known as, or residing in a Street of Walls. The phrase, frequently repeated in the Scroll, an 8% guaranteed return in any and every market, makes scientists think the Street of Walls refers to a mural with advertising of some sort. This suggests the area was a trade route or center of commerce. It may have been a distribution point along a trade route for produce. There are many references to Big Apples. All we know for sure is that they did not sell cleaning products. The Street of Walls was also called a City that Never Sweeps.
It is unclear what the name of the people who lived there was. There are three main theories. First, the word, Ponzi, is to be found all over the Scroll. The name of the occupants of the Street of Walls may be the Ponzia's. It is not yet known what Ponzi means.
Second and third theories are based on the constant use of two words. Pyramid and Scheme.
The name of these people could have been Pyramid or Scheme. Both are equally plausible. There are also many references to Pyramidiots, and Schemers. As more is known about the grammatical constructs of the language, it will be easier to know precise meanings.
There is no archaeological record of the the culture of the people who produced the Scroll of Madoff. Here too, several theories abound. There is not yet sufficient evidence to support one over the other.
It it thought that mathematics played a great roll in the commerce and culture of the Pyramidiots, and or the Schemers. The Scroll is repleat with numbers. Teams of math professors cannot understand from where these numbers emanate, or why they are called derivatives. They do not seem to derive from any model or calculation that bears any resemblance of relationships to nature, society or economic activity.
The travel patterns of the Madoffians is also a puzzlement. 71 per cent of the time, the author or authors of the Scroll seemed to live and work in the Street of Walls. The other 29 per cent, during warm weather they would go on pilgrimages to a site known as the Hamptons.
It is thought that the Hamptons are a site of Sacred and or ritual value. Religious phrases of the Madoffese such as, floating prime, and beach festivals seem to indicate that rituals were practiced near the water. References to weekend bar be ques may refer to animal sacrifices. It is not known what odd sounding words like, sauces, rubs, and marinades mean. These may hold the clue to meaning and purpose of the sacrifices.
In colder times, the Madoff tribes were known to migrate to warmer places such as Florida, Bahamas and Caribbean in search of game and other foods. More research is needed to know if these are real locations. If so, where would they be? One guess is Pennsylvania. It is well established they were a literate society. The State named after the writing implements of pens manufactured by the Sylvania Corporation makes this a real possibility.
With more excavation, and after the writing and language of the people who produced the Scroll of Madoff is better understood it is hoped some light can be shed on this curious and ancient civilization.
All we know of them at this point is that for all their mathematical and marketing acumen, their civilization did not appear to be founded on values sustainable over any significant length of time.
By learning about our ancestral past, perhaps we can know what to do with our own future.
Social Scientifically Yours, Enoch.